Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Springtime is CleanTheFridge Time!!!

Yes it's true!!

Every Spring, whether it needs it or not, I clean the fridge!!!

I knew it was time when my husband said, "Hmmm...I hear a strange noise whenever I open the fridge."

"Really?" I said.  "Is it a whirring noise or a clicking noise?"

"Neither," he said.  "Call me crazy, but it sounds like someone whispering 'help me....help me' over and over again."

I didn't want to say it out loud but I was pretty sure what he heard might have been the Mandarin oranges from Christmas.  Or possibly the leftover yam/marshmallow casserole also from Christmas (or was it Thanksgiving??)

I know it sounds scary, but sometimes the only thing that motivates me to clean out the fridge is the fact that I've run out of plastic containers.  That's when I start rooting through all the stuff in the back and find things that I never could have imagined.....and even if I could imagine them I could never actually identify them. 

I do recognize something that was once colourful salad but not THAT colourful!!!  The green isn't just from the lettuce and green peppers.  It's also the tomatoes, corn and black olives.  Next to that could possibly have once been whipped cream but it's hard to tell due to the fuzzy orange stuff around the edge.

Something that started out as perogies is now a heap of slimy goo the smell of which could ward off a charging pit bull. Cheese that wasn't blue 6 months ago appears to be moving on its own and I've accidentally made cilantro juice that smells nothing like cilantro. 

I know there are starving people out there who would have gladly eaten the leftovers in my fridge if only I would have invited them.  I feel very sad about that as I scoop piles of stuff into the green waste can.  But I'm also amazed.  Who would have thought it was possible to swing a carrot like a bull whip or tie it in a knot??

1 comment:

Pam said...

You are so hilarious Christine! I too have several colors in my fridge at the moment that are probably not original. The veggie drawers are particularly pungent, I do believe. I tend to open and close them quickly so it's hard to say...
Fun reading your blog!! Have a great time cleaning ;)