Saturday, April 20, 2013

Please believe me when I tell you I'm taking Drum Lessons....

I don't know why I'm afraid to tell my sons.  I guess that's why I chose April Fool's Day to do it.

I sent them both text messages saying oh ya I almost forgot to tell you I'm taking drum lessons.  Within seconds they both replied with funny messages that indicated they thought it was an April Fool thing.  One asked if I was learning from a "semi-famous" drummer we know.  The other one said he was taking a course in "Bear Whispering".

Of course that did not surprise me. I'm trying to imagine what I would have thought if my mom had announced that she was learning to play a drum.  Hahahaha!!!!!!!!  (hysterical laughter)

Sorry guys...I was serious.

I have always had this thing inside me that wants to bang on a drum (just a hand drum)...and finally the opportunity presented itself and I went for it.  After my first lesson I ordered a Djembe drum online because my instructor told me I was a natural.....(I laughed and said oh ya I'm sure you say that to all your students...but she assured me that she doesn't and I really want to believe her...)

So I got my drum within days of placing the order and I now feel like I can scratch something off my bucket list (if I had one...) and I've been practicing daily while the dog stares in disbelief.

And don't worry, kids.  I won't be playing on street corners with an upside down hat at my feet - although that thought is semi-appealing.  I won't even be playing in front of anyone besides my instructor for awhile but when I lose my fear maybe I'll post a youtube video and make you proud.

See you then....love mom.........(me and my drum.......)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Very proud of you, Mom! This is from Dylan. I say that's wonderful Christine, good for you! Can't wait to hear you sometime. That's an awesome picture of you too :)

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."

Elbert Hubbard

Read that quote somewhere recently. Way to go!