Thursday, November 13, 2014

And Suddenly....It's Winter....


It’s all coming back to me.   Cracked jagged fingers numb from the cold.  Hangnails too tough to be bitten off.  Mud covered vehicles with cracked windshields.  Rows of boots in the foyer of the library and other public buildings. Yeah.  I remember. 
I never thought I would live even farther north than Mackenzie BC, where I spent 10 years of my family’s life.  But here I am.  And the feelings I'm having about it are mixed at the moment.  We've been here almost two weeks (well Rod was here for the summer months and I just arrived). 

Wouldn't you know we are experiencing an unusual cold spell.  In fact yesterday morning on the weather report it was noted that Dawson Creek was the cold spot of BC (-30).  I know winter hasn’t even started yet.  It's still Fall!  But instead of brightly coloured leaves we have almost a foot of snow on the ground and although it's now sunny, the snow is not melting!

But there are some positive things.  Like yesterday morning when Rod woke me up to ask if I wanted to see a moose.  Our townhouse is the last row to be built and that means we look out on a little forest instead of another row of townhouses.  It's very pretty.  That's where we see the sunrises and in the distance we can see windmills up on the hill.  Last night the sun was hitting the tips of some of them, making it look like there were torches up there.  We've seen deer in the forest but this morning was our first moose sighting.  It looked quite young and it was standing amongst the trees eating bark.  With binoculars we could see it quite well but it was too far away to get a good photo.  However, Rod, being the avid photographer that he is, got on his boots and ventured out to get closer.  



From the safety of the window I saw the moose stop eating and look at Rod for a few minutes.  I wondered if he (or she) sensed danger and expected to hear a loud boom sound like the one that may have taken out his grandpa...(who knows the thoughts of a young moose...) But then he continued casually eating bark.

Rod got some decent shots but pointed out (after he thawed out) that if he had the $1000 telephoto lens he could have done better....(hint..)

We watched as the moose finished his meal and then found a spot to curl up for a snooze.  Sometime later I noticed he was gone.  We checked this morning but if he was there, we couldn't see him. 

If this is it until Spring I guess I can manage.  As long as I have crochet and art supplies, I will make it through.  We are going to Grande Prairie AB tomorrow (weather permitting) and I noticed there is a Michael's there!!!!!!!!!!! I'm planning to stock up on yarn for more *dog sweaters and human slippers.  But I won't be making any more fingerless gloves!   I think gloveless finger warmers make more sense.



*A few words from the dog later.............



 

1 comment:

Lori Riggins said...

By Christmas you will love it there! Just think, you will be guaranteed a beautiful white Christmas this year!